The Time Traveler's Wife - End

Assalamualaikum,

[Background song: Broken by Lifehouse]

It's been a while since I finished reading the Time Traveler's Wife and I am still not quite sure on how to write the finality of the book.

"Clare, I want to tell you, again, I love you. Our love has been the thread through the labyrinth, the net under the high-wire walker, the only real thing in this strange life of mine that I could ever trust. Tonight I feel that my love for you has more density in this world than I do, myself: as though it could linger on after me and surround you, keep you, hold you. (...) I love you, always. Time is nothing." ~ Henry's letter to Clare; after his death~

This book has a special personification that detained time in its own hourglass. You are personally here and there, where Henry and Clare were - witnessing their twisted fate. It was a sensation of moving through ticking seconds from inside a transparent capsule.

The book's main theme were "waiting" and "leaving" - two common events that happen in our daily life. Both who waits and leaves share one thing that is "returning". The empty dimension between it is what known as "longing". It was a challenging journey to read over these three things, especially the longing. They were well written and become significant and so real on you. Audrey Niffenegger wrote The Time Traveler's Wife uniquely.

Time was like chains all over Henry’s body - dragging him to the past, slamming him to the future and brings him back to the present. Due to unexplainable genetic impairment, Henry's biological clock reset beyond ordinariness and he was forced to jump through time unwillingly. Clare was the one person who always in all dimension - his past, his present and his future. Clare was the only real thing in Henry's life; his sole soul mate and love.

What it will be like if you have to wait all your life? What it will be like if you hold an hourglass and looking at every single sand that runs through it all the time? That is Clare; she waits for Henry all her life. Her waiting were intense and she has been doing it since she was 6 years old until the age of 82! Time spin around Clare; slower for each waiting and faster for each meeting. She knows everything but yet, there's plenty more surprises.

Clare's forever waiting captured my attention and interest the most; as I, [if I may say] coincidently in my own waiting. My waiting is nothing like Clare's, [but still waiting] thus I adore her for the patience and passion to wait for Henry. Clare is a personal character for me, she's personal; she exists and I see her in my mirror.

Waiting was never easy. It's a spiral of madness and patience that tangled around your rationality. Being rational rarely help and being mad feels like jumping from a very high place into eternal thin air. Patience come and go - sometime you wish it just vanish but when it's about to slip away from you, you hold on tighter. You believe that each time you really want to stop you are making the biggest mistake in your life. And ironically, you feel opposite way, too.

When I begin my reading, I focused more on Clare. In the middle of the book, I came to understand the book from Henry's part. Clare represents options we have in life - Clare chooses to stay and wait. On the other hand, Henry represents what all of us wish for - an escape door. Only for Henry, it's too many of unnecessary doors. He lived without options.

I am not a time traveler, so I don't know how it's like :D But through Audrey Niffenegger's writing I experienced what Henry might have felt. The strongest was confused - I was so confused with the date and time and the age. Henry will ask Clare, or himself, or whoever he met during the travel; I flip the page to check.
The next one would be frustration. All Henry wanted was to stay and to be where Clare is. Clare is the most beautiful thing ever happen in Henry's life and being with Clare calmed Henry. Wouldn't it be the total frustration when you are apart from the sole meaning of your life?

Patience and acceptance are two key values possessed by Henry and Clare. These elements surrounded their passionate love life. You could feel it throughout your reading. It was so deep, in each word spoken and each conversation they had.

I would like to recommend The Time Traveler's Wife for you next reading. It's a love story you never read or heard before. It's full of emotions!

Below song, Broken by Firehouse is the movie's soundtrack. The lyric can help you to understand the book better...

Wassalam.

Broken
by Lifehouse
Original Soundtrack of The Time Traveler's Wife

The broken clock is a comfort, it helps me sleep tonight
Maybe it can stop tomorrow from stealing all my time
I am here still waiting though i still have my doubts
I am damaged at best, like you've already figured out

I'm falling apart, I'm barely breathing
With a broken heart that's still beating
In the pain, there is healing
In your name I find meaning
So I'm holdin' on, I'm holdin' on, I'm holdin' on
I'm barely holdin' on to you

The broken locks were a warning you got inside my head
I tried my best to be guarded, I'm an open book instead
I still see your reflection inside of my eyes
That are looking for a purpose, they're still looking for life

I'm falling apart, I'm barely breathing
with a broken heart that's still beating
In the pain (in the pain), is there healing
In your name (in your name) I find meaning
So I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin'), I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin'), I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin')
I'm barely holdin' on to you

I'm hangin' on another day
Just to see what you throw my way
And I'm hanging on to the words you say
You said that I will be OK

The broken lights on the freeway left me here alone
I may have lost my way now, haven't forgotten my way home

I'm falling apart, I'm barely breathing
with a broken heart that's still beating
In the pain(In the pain) there is healing
In your name I find meaning
So I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin'), I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin'), I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin'),
I'm barely holdin' on to you

I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin'), I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin'), I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin'),
I'm barely holdin' on to you



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ugly Jealousy

Knock, knock, knock!

Klik! Klik! Children